Monday, February 14, 2011

A Valentine's Day Meander

I was going to write a blog about how much I hate the artificialness of Valentine's Day. How it allows people to assume that a one-off gesture on a specially selected national day of lovey-doveyness is the same as being romantic. Then I was going to rant a little about smug couples & their twee messages to each other.

Then I decided that I wasn't going to be that much of a cynical bastard. Love is a wonderful thing, if you get a chance to experience it. Just because for one day of the year we have to put up with treacly nonesense doesn't de-value love & romance. There's another 364 days to have fun with.

Being single on Valentine's Day is always an irritant but only because we're supposed to be unhappy about being single. But I'm not. There are benefits to being single: you get to live your life. You don't have to compromise & you don't have to justify how you live your life. You don't have to be in a couple to be a 'complete' person. I think the whinging of single people on Valentine's Day tends to dilute that. It makes us look bitter & needy when we're often neither.

Maybe one day, in a twist on the words of Bill Hicks, I'll find that special woman (or a bunch of average ones) but in the meantime I shall enjoy all the benefits that come with being single & allow couples to enjoy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment